Antony Galton: Current and recent research activities
Keynote and other invited talks
- 'Spatial Collectives and Causality'.
GIForum, Institute for Geoinformatics. University of Münster, Germany, 27th May 2014.
- 'Extensional and Intensional Spatial Collectives'.
GIScience Centre, Zürich, Switzerland, 14th May 2013.
- 'Prolegomena to an Ontology of Shape'. Shapes 2.0, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 4th April 2013. (This workshop was part of UniLog 2013, the Fourth World Congress on Universal Logic.)
- 'The Ontology of States, Processes, and Events'. InterOntology12, Tokyo, Japan, 23rd February 2012. Published in Mitsuhiro Okada and Barry Smith (editors), Interdisciplinary Ontology, Vol. 5. Tokyo, Keio University, Open Research Centre for Logic and Formal Ontology, pages 35-45.
- 'Are Processes Occurrents, Continuants, Both, or Neither?'. Workshop on Processes and Agency, C.S.M.N., Oslo, 8th November 2011.
- 'Life and Motion of Collective Phenomena'. Workshop on Collectives in Space and Time, Zentrum für Logik, Wissenschaftstheorie und Wissenschaftsgeschichte (ZLWWG), Rostock, Germany, 23rd June 2011.
- 'How is a Collective Related to its Members?'. InterOntology10, Tokyo, 27th February 2010. Published in Barry Smith, Riichiro Mizoguchi, and Sumio Nakagawa (editors), Interdisciplinary Ontology, Vol. 3. Tokyo, Keio University, Open Research Center for Logic and Ontology, 2010, pages 9-17.
- 'The Formalities of Affordance'. Workshop on Spatio-Temporal Dynamics (STeDy), 19th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2010), Lisbon, Portugal, 16th August 2010.
- 'Processes as Continuants'. 13th International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (TIME 2006), Budapest, Hungary, 17th June 2006.
- 'On What Goes On: The Ontology of Processes and Events'. Fourth International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems (FOIS2006), 10th November 2006.
- 'The Church-Turing Thesis: Still valid after all these years?'. Workshop on Language and Complexity, Convento da Arrabida, Portugal, 5th July 2004.
Resulting publication: Antony Galton, 'The Church-Turing thesis: Still valid after all these years?', Applied Mathematics and Computation, Volume 178 (2006), pages 93-102.
- 'Operators versus Arguments: The Ins and Outs of Reification'. Conference on The Logic of Time and Modality, organised by the Danish Network for Philosophical Logic and its Applications (PHILOG) at Roskilde University, Denmark, 31st October 2003. Subsequently published in Synthese, Volume 150 (2006), pages 415-551.
- 'Some Correspondences between Spatial and Temporal Representations'. Sesto Convegno della Associazione Italiana per l'Intelligenza Artificiale (AI*IA98), Padova, Italy, 23rd September 1998.
Conference and Workshop organisation
- I was programme co-chair of the UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence (UKCI 2015), held at Exeter, UK, 7th--9th September 2015.
- I was conference co-chair (with Brandon Bennett) of COSIT 2013, held in Scarborough, UK, 2nd-6th September 2013.
- I was on the local organising committee of AISB 2013, held in Exeter, UK, 3rd-5th April 2013.
- I was co-chair (with Zena Wood) of the symposium on Understanding and Modelling Collective Phenomena (UMoCoP 2012) at AISB 2012, held in Birmingham, UK, 5th July 2012.
- I was co-chair (with Mike Worboys and Matt Duckham) of the workshop on Identifying Objects, Processes and Events in Spatio-Temporally Distributed Data (IOPE 2011) at COSIT 2011, held in Belfast, Maine, USA, 12th September 2011.
- I was programme co-chair (with Riichiro Mizoguchi) of the 6th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems (FOIS 2010), held in Toronto, Canada, 11th-14th May 2010.
- With Pierre Grenon (Open University) I organised a UK Ontology Workshop, held at Milton Keynes, 30th April 2010. This led to the formation of the UK Ontology Network.
Tutorials, Schools, etc
- I will be a presenter at the 3rd Interdisciplinary School on Applied Ontology (ISAO 2016) to be held at Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, 27th June to 1st July 2016.
- I was a facilitator (with Michael Gruninger, David Mark and Werner Kuhn) of the summer school on Process Ontology, forming the second week of the 9th Summer Institute on Geographic Information Science run by the Vespucci Initiative at Fiesole, Italy, 17th-22nd July 2011.
- I gave a series of lectures on Spatial and Temporal Knowledge Representation at the Third Indian School on Logic and its Applications (ISLA 2010), held in Hyderabad, India, 26th-29th January 2010.
- I presented a tutorial on Processes and Events in Geographical Space at COSIT 2009, held at Aber Wrac'h, Brittany, France, 21st September 2009.
- I gave a series of lectures on Space, Time and Movement at the 8th International School in Philosophy and Artificial Intelligence, held in Bolzano, Italy, March 1995. Material from the lectures was subsequently published as Chapter 10 of O. Stock (ed.), Spatial and Temporal Reasoning, Kluwer Academic Publshers, 1997.
Funded Research Projects
- I am a co-investigator on EPSRC Research Grant EP/M023869/1
Novel context-based segmentation algorithms for intelligent microscopy (PI Professor Gabriel Landini, University of Birmingham)
Visits to Other Institutions
- I have been appointed Visiting Professor at the University of Greenwich from 1st February 2015 for a period of three years. I will be working with Mike Worboys and Zena Wood.
- November--December 2014: I was an Academic Visitor at the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia, where I worked with Matt Duckham on extracting causal rules from spatio-temporal data. This visit was funded by EPSRC Overseas Travel Grant EP/M012921/1.
- September 2010: At University of Maine, Orono, ME, working with Mike Worboys on spatio-temporal knowledge representation for emergency management. This visit was funded by EPSRC project EP/I007555/1.
- April--May 2005: At University of Maine, Orono, ME, working with Mike Worboys on processes in spatial networks. This visit was funded by EPSRC Overseas Travel Grant EP/C014502/1.
Associations and Societies
I am on the editorial board of the following journals:
These are people I have co-authored papers with:
Last modified: Mon Mar 23 11:46:27 GMT 2015